Saturday, May 30, 2009


Last night, the weatherman said that today would be sunny in the morning and then it would rain in the late afternoon. However, just the opposite occurred. It sprinkled off and on in the morning and then cleared up. So Ken and I were both able to do over two hours of yard work. The picture on the right shows one of the sweet pea vines that I want to train to grow up the wooden pot holder. The vines have been growing very slowly but then seem to be healthy.

He mowed the lawn and then weeded the bed attached to the front of the house. After that he took out the grass around the back part of the north side of the house and spread pea gravel in this area. It looks so much nicer! It works well because that is where we have a water spigot. He also weeded the bed that is next to this area.

I started to prune the bushes in front of the house but I didn't finish. I did weed the area around the mailbox and planted begonias in the bed. I also planted the large pot that is directly in front of the porch with four begonias and one purple Wave petunia. I put down newspaper and cocoa mulch in this bed. After that, I planted ten purple Wave petunias in the large front bed. I still have to cover the area with newspaper and cocoa mulch but I'll have to do it later in the week because I ran out of newspaper.

The purple Wave petunias had become very leggy in the six pack so I had to cut them back so that the center wouldn't become bare. I told Ken that the neighbors would probably mistake them for weeds right now because they look so ugly. But I know that in a few weeks they will start to grow and bloom. Last year, I had two colors of Wave petunias in this bed and they made a dazzling display by the middle of summer.

Earlier this evening, I picked the last of the early-sown Cherry Bell radishes and then thinned the carrots. Soon I will plant more carrots in the empty pots.

One nice thing about having multiple beds is that there are always some of them that are spectacular at any time. Right now, the long brick bed on the side of the front yard is beautiful. All of the plants are growing well. The texture and coloration of the leaves on the minature shrubs compliment the varigated grasses. Also, the violas in the pots look stunning.

Another bed that is especially beautiful right now is the small bed in the back yard that contains the irises. Not only are the irises in full bloom but so are the Nana coreopsis, the pinks and the potted violas. The daylillies have lots of buds and the salvias should begin to bloom soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment