Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I can't believe what great weather we have had so far this spring. Today was in the high 60s and sunny. I also heard that this summer may not be excrutiatingly hot like it was two years ago.

Every day something new and exciting happens in the garden. Today, I noticed that the radishes that I planted had sprouted. They are very close and will need to be thinned. Also, the Nana coreopsis has big buds and should be flowering soon. The lilac bushes are blooming. Not only do they look beautiful but they smell heavenly. One of the Rococco pansies that I grew from seed is finally flowering. I started off with 27 of them and ended up with 11! Most of them died because I didn't give them enough time to harden off before planting them outside. I didn't think that it was going to be a problem since they are cold hardy but I must have overestimated their tolerance levels.


I had another pleasant surprise when I got home--Ken cleaned out the bed behind the house and edged it. Now the rocks that border this bed really stand out. I am going to plant the six pink Wave petunias and the six Salmon Flambe petunias that I started from seed in it when the night time temperatures become warmer. I have been hardening these plants off so I shouldn't have the same problem with them as I had with the Rococco pansies. In fact, the Salmon Flambe petunias that I have already planted in pots outdoors are beginning to flower.

Last week, the tomato seeds that I sowed on Monday, April 20 started to sprout. I had almost given up on them but now there are two Celebrity, three Lemon Boy and two Jubilee plants that are growing. I have been careful not to overwater them and have been keeping them just below the lights. I don't want them to get yellowed leaves like the earlier tomatoes. However, these plants have begun to green up since I have been putting them outside in the sun during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment