Saturday, May 2, 2009


A beautiful spring day! Not too hot and not too cold. The cool weather plants are really growing quickly like the violas in the pots. And all of the perennials are getting huge. The warm temperatures and lots of rain this week have have worked their magic.


Ken mowed the front yard and part of the back yard again yesterday. I couldn't believe how fast the grass had grown in just one week. I noticed that there are some clover plants growing in the front yard but that doesn't bother me. However, Ken is talking about hiring a professional to come out and resod the strip next to the street. He has given up on trying to do something with the lawn there. On the otherhand, I don't see any reason to even have grass there. I would like to plant that area with something else but I'm not sure what. I have seen some yards in Livonia that have this area planted with shrubs and flowers.







These views show areas of the large bed in the back yard. I haven't purchased cocoa mulch yet but I will do so soon. It will really brighten up the flower beds and it makes the ground look so much better. I also noticed that I am not getting as many weeds in the large bed this year. I think that the pathways that Ken put around the bed last summer is helping to keep the weeds in check.



The mosquito sculpture in the large bed.



Daylilies, violas and salvia.


The red and yellow tulips in the front yard look beautiful. The weather has been in the 50s this week so they are keeping their blooms. I want to plant the petunias that I grew from seed in this bed soon. I am trying to wait until the night time temperatures are above 40. The newspaper said that by the middle of next week this should happen.





Ken and I spent 1 1/2 hours working on the beds this evening. We had to dig out more of the Obedient Plant from the small bed and the large bed. I hate this plant!! We also transplanted two salvias (one of them we divided into thirds) and two daylillies (one of them we divided in half) to the small bed on the left. We cut back the butterfly bushes to about six inches above the ground. One of the shrubs is getting foliage but I haven't seen any on the other one. I also did some weeding. In addition, I filled up four pots with dirt and put them in the small bed on the right along with the geranium sculpture. These additions really helped to fill out this bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment