Saturday, May 9, 2009



It was very windy today with temperatures in the 60s. The weather ranged from being sunny to overcast with light showers. I took this picture of the bird sculpture that is in the middle of the large bed in the backyard in the morning but I wasn't able to do any serious work until the late afternoon. This picture shows the coral bells with flower buds.

This evening, I was able to do some work in the front yard. I dug out the tulips in the front brick bed. I haven't decided what I want to plant there yet. I would love to put orange impatiens in that spot but it is too sunny. However, I did plant impatiens in that area several years ago and they were beautiful so I guess you never know what will happen. If I could find orange wave petunias then I would definitely use them. Last year, I used wave petunias in this spot and they worked out very well.

I also cleaned up the front side brick bed and added cocoa mulch. Even though I had cleared out the grape hyacinths earlier in the spring, there were some that germinated and even flowered. I pulled them out and hope that I don't have any others come back.

Ken and I dug up one of the butterfly bushes that did not make it through the winter and replaced it with another. I put in Black Knight (Buddleia davidii). The tag describes it as having profuse, fragrant flowers in dense clusters that bloom from July to September. It also says to cut it back hard in the spring. I also had to do some heavy duty weeding in this bed.

The potatoes are sprouting.

No comments:

Post a Comment