Friday, June 5, 2009

It's June!

The weather during the day time has been pleasant but it is still too chilly at night to plant the cold sensitive vegetables. I have been able to harvest more radishes and lettuce though. In addition, the carrot tops are starting to look like carrots should and not just like weeds.

Ken set up the rain barrel last Sunday. It rained on Monday and it filled up quickly. I read in several different publications (including Organic Gardening magazine) that the water captured in the rain barrel shouldn't be used on vegetables. The run off from the roof could be contaminated with aluminum from the gutters and asbestoes from the shingles. However, I have so many flower beds that it won't go to waste.

I haven't had time or the motivation this week to work on the flower beds but I have been enjoying looking at them. This weekend, I need to plant the rest of the annuals in the front yard. The wax begonias that I bought at Ken's Nursery several weeks ago are really looking nice in the areas in which they have been planted. When I took them out of the six-packs I noticed that they had good root systems--not too thin but not root-bound.

I am in love with the Salmon Velvet petunias! So far, they have a dense growth habit and are covered with flowers. The color is spectacular also. I can't wait to see how they fare as the summer progresses. The photo (below) was taken on May 29th and they look even better today.


No comments:

Post a Comment