Friday, May 29, 2009


The last few days have been warm but rainy. Today, is sunny and in the low 80s but it is beginning to become very windy. I was able to get out in the garden today and I was astonished how so many things have grown in just a few days. Earlier this week when I inspected the daylillies for buds there were none but now the Stella d'Oros are loaded with them. In fact, one of the plants is beginning to bloom. Also, the irises are now in full bloom. So many more flowers have opened and I had to pick off four spent blossoms.

I noticed that there is a lot of blue/purple, yellow and pink colors in the garden right now. It really shows when I look at the recent pictures that I have been posting.




I was surprised to see that the bleeding heart sent out another stalk of flowers. I didn't expect much of it this year but it is growing nicely. I look forward to seeing how it fares next year. I am so glad that I bought this plant. I usually hate spending $10 for a perennial but the expenditure was well worth it. Actually, I should have done it much sooner.

I'm impressed with how well the Salmon Velvet petunias are doing. They have a lovely colored flower and their habit is compact for a spreading plant. I haven't witnessed any long, lanky stems like I often get on the Wave petunias. However, time will tell. I will definitely take the time and trouble to plant these seeds again next year if they keep so well this year.



The columbines are at their peak but I think that they are not going to last much longer. It seems as if they bloomed earlier than usual. It also seems as if the coral bells flowered earlier too. Maybe it has something to do with the beautiful spring weather that we have had this year. On the other hand, the violas are still going strong. If this weather continues, I might not have to replant the 14 pots containing violas until mid-summer.






I have to pick the early crop of Cherry Bell radishes this weekend. It looks like the second crop of radishes and the carrots both need to be thinned. Last Sunday, Ken put more compost around the Yukon Gold potatoes and their leaves are now above the pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment