Friday, May 22, 2009


The weather has been very erratic this week. We had a heavy frost on Monday night/Tuesday morning and then it was in the high 80s during the next two days. Today was in the low 70s and sunny. It was a great day to do some gardening.

Yesterday, I went to Ken's Nursery. I purchased two flats of pink begonias and one flat of Blue Victoria salvia ($9.99 each). I also bought two six packs of deep pink Wave petunias ($5.99 each). They had a good selection of hot peppers so I selected four packs of Serrano peppers, Red Chili Bombs peppers, Ancho chiles, and Poblano peppers ($1.50 each).

I worked in the garden for over three hours today but I didn't feel as if I accomplished a lot. I spent most of the time weeding part of the big bed in the back yard. Small weeds were taking over. I decided to used the hand cultivator to dig them up and then pick them out by hand. I recently read that a really good weeding in the spring was a more effective method of weed control then Preen or landscape fabric. This spring I want to do every thing possible (organically of course) to avoid having to do heavy-duty weeding this summer.

After I did a thorough job weeding the area, I planted some of the Blue Victoria salvia and pink begonias. I laid newspaper over some of the sections that did not contain plants and then covered the entire area with cocoa mulch. I also repositioned two boulders from the opposite side of this bed to the side that I was working on. They were being covered by the daylillies at the other end and I thought that they would be more interesting in their new location. Tomorrow, Ken will use the hula hoe to weed the other areas of the large bed. Then I can put down more newspaper and cocoa mulch.

Wednesday evening, Ken and I saw the hummingbird for the first time this season. Ken had remarked that the lilacs were still looking good and I went over to smell them. (They still have a wonderful aroma.) I walked back to the patio and Ken said, "Look over at the coral bells!" The hummingbird was feeding from them. I wonder if I had interrupted it at the lilacs and it went to the flowering coral bells.

No comments:

Post a Comment