Friday, April 17, 2009


What a beautiful day! Sunny and in the 70s. After the rain that we had earlier in the week, the flowers are really starting to perk up. Also, some of the daffodils in the large back yard bed are starting to bloom. The flowers in the photograph (left) are Ice Follies and are in the large back yard bed.

This morning, I went to English Gardens to pick up a few seeds. (All seeds are 30% off.) I wanted to buy some hot pepper seeds because none of the seeds that I had from last year have germinated. However, they didn't have any. I did buy some other types--Cherry Belle radish, Lemon Boy tomatoes, and a Cupani Sweet Pea. While I was there, I also purchased four Marguerite Daisy "Kelwayi" (Anthemis tinctoria) plants. (They were $1.99 but the fourth one was free. So I paid $1.50 for each one.) The tag describes it as being an "easy-to-grow 18 inch tall plant with beautiful flowers. Finely cut, aromatic foliage. Great in gardens or for cutting. Attracts butterflies. Blooms June to September in sun or partial sun."

Later in the afternoon, Ken and I drove to Bordine's Nursery in Brighton. We purchased two packs of Yukon Gold seed potatoes. Each package cost $3.99. I also, bought a welcome mat for the front porch that is made out of recycled materials.

This evening, Ken put the Butterfly House in the small left-hand bed. I will plant the Marguerite daisies around it. I will also transplant some of the flowers from the perennial bed behind the house.

The last few years the bed directly behind the house has not been looking as nice as it once did. I found some old pictures that I took when I first created the bed years ago and it looked very tidy. I am not sure what I will grow there. The air conditioner sits in the middle of the bed and I don't want any thing to get too close to it even if we rarely use it. I have been thinking that planting the petunias that I have grown from seed there.

Many of the pansies that I grew and then transplanted into the decorative wheel barrel are not doing well. I have decided not to bother to start pansies from seeds indoors again. Some of these plants may make it but it wasn't worth my time and money to grow my own. I still think that I want to buy a package of Johnny-Jump-Ups and sow them in the fall. It would be interesting to see if they germinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment