Friday, April 24, 2009


The weather today is unbelieveable. Yesterday, they changed the weather report several times. First there was supposed to be rain in the evening, then in the morning and then not at all! The one thing that stayed consistent was that forecast said that the temperature would be in the 80s. Right now it's in the mid 80s. I hope that the warmth doesn't harm my cool weather flowers or crops. This picture shows the violas that are planted in one of the pots in the front side yard brick bed.


Two yellow Carlton daffodils have blossomed in the large bed and I see several other buds. However, all of the bulbs that I put in this bed in October 2007 have not come up. Some of them may have rotted away or were destroyed when I put other plants in the ground. I love spring flowering bulbs but they can be undependable. That's why I usually treat them as annuals and not perennials.






I decided to dig out the minature bulbs that are in the left small bed. Even though a lot of the green leaves came up this year, less than a dozen crocuses and daffodils bloomed. I want to transplant perennials in this bed and add some vegetables later this spring.




The perennials in the right small bed are bursting out of the ground. There are Stella d'Oro and Happy Returns daylillies, Nana coreopsis, salvias, irises, delphiniums, and a grass in this bed. I'm still having trouble with the Obedient Plant cropping up. Even though I have dug it out twice this spring, I see that some more leaves are coming up! I bought the ornament in the picture above at the Meier Gardens Gift Shop last summer.

Ken mowed the front yard for the first time this year. With all of the heavy rain that we have had this week, it really looks good. However, that still doesn't make me a turf fan! I would be happy to eliminate all of it in our yard. I might not be able to do this in the front but I'm doing my best to get rid of the grass in the back yard. Every year, Ken digs up more of it. Unfortunantly, it's difficult to do so all at once. Right now, Ken has a huge pile of old sod next to the composter that he will turn into "black gold."

No comments:

Post a Comment