Thursday, April 23, 2009


April Showers Bring May Flowers! Well, it's not exactly May yet but the rain that we have had since Sunday evening is really making everything green. Today, the sun has come back out and it is in the 60s. This picture shows the minature tulips (I can't remember if they are T. tarda or T. dasystemon) that have been coming up in the garden by the front door for three or four years. I love them especially mixed with the scillas.

The forsythias have been blooming this week and the ones in the back yard look beautiful. I love their free flowing form and they are covered with flowers. The lilacs are also getting purple buds at their tips. Last year, we cut the height of the lilacs but this year we need to thin out the dead wood and overlapping branches. This morning, Ken started to create a rock border around the base of the pine tree. So far, it looks really good.

On Monday (April 20th), I sowed some more tomato seeds. I started three Celebrity tomatoes, two Mild Jubilee tomatoes and three Lemon Boy tomatoes. This time I decided to put them under the lights right away instead of starting them in a warm dark room. Even though, the Celebrity and Mild Jubilee tomato seeds are from last year, the Lemon Boy seeds are the ones that I bought last weekend. Today, I noticed that one of the Celebrity seeds that I planted several weeks ago started to germinate so I put it under the lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment