Sunday, April 12, 2009

Another gorgeous day! Ken and I spent three hours outside doing various chores. I planted two hanging baskets for the end of the right side of the large back bed. I also planted two regular baskets to put in the middle of that bed and a smaller oval basket for one of the smaller beds.

Ken helped to transplant two Autum Joy sedums to the large back bed. I wanted to add something on either side of the coral bells that would have height and substance. (Their blooms will also add color in the later part of the season.) I read in Michigan Gardener several years back that sedums could be pinched back to make them sturdier and fuller so yesterday I did some research. On one of the forums, a member stated that she pinches her sedums when they reach 6 inches and then takes off 4 to 6 inches again at 12 inches. Even though I haven't had any problems with my Autumn Joys, I'm going to do this.

Ken also helped me to dig out more Obedient Plant from the two beds where I had originally put them. I hope that we were able to get all of the roots. What a mess! They had rapidly spread and were taking over the areas where other plants were located. If I see any more being sold at English Garden, I'm going to talk to the manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment