Sunday, April 19, 2009


Today is definitely cooler than yesterday. It is in the 50s, overcast, and trying to rain. I hope that it does because all of my pots need watering. The photo on the left shows some of the work that we have done in the last week. The decorative grasses have been cut and divided; the violas have all been potted, and the sedums (right hand corner) have been dug up and transplanted. The mass in front of the bird sculpture is a coral bell plant that is starting to revive. It actually looks better than the picture portrays.

Today, Ken and I worked out in the garden for about three hours. I finished planting the violas in the pots located in the hosta bed. I also noticed that the hostas are beginning to send up shoots. I was shocked when I walked by the Jackmanii clematis today because now there are leaves on each of the three stems. So I pruned it back. This will be the third year that we have had this clematis. It has large purplish-blue flowers and reblooms throughout the summer.

I planted two pots of radishes and two pots of lettuce.

  • Cherry Belle Radish (Lake Valley Seed; $1.29) is an early season radish grown for its crunchy round, red roots. It sprouts in 5 to 10 days and matures in 22 days.
  • Green and Red Salad Mix Lettuce (Lake Valley Seed; $2.49) is a mix that contains Black Seeded Simpson, Green Salad Bowl, Red Salad Bowl, Marvielle of Four Seasons and Bibb lettuce. It sprouts in 7 to 14 days and matures in 50 days.

I put six of the Cupani Sweet Pea (Botanical Interests; $1.99) seeds in water so that germination will be easier. I should have planted these plants in the middle of March but I decided to take a chance. This plant blooms in spring/summer on 5 to 6 foot long vines. This heirloom variety is described as having purple and deep blue bicolor flowers that are very fragrant. I will plant the seeds around the apple wood plant stand in the large back bed and let the vines twine around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment