Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It's still snowing and in the 30s. However, it's suppose to warm up by 20 degrees in the next few days. Typical Michigan weather for April.

Today, I had to lower the bottom shelf on the grow light system. The 4th of July tomatoes are getting big--6 to 8 inches tall. The Sungold tomatoes are also growing well but I threw one out yesterday because it wasn't as healthy as the other three. I need the growing space under the lights and I have to be diligent about getting rid of imperfect specimens.

I also had to replant the six petunias (Salmon Velvet). They were getting too big for the 6-pack cells so I put them in individual pots. Unfortunantly, when I was transplanting the largest one, half of the roots broke off. I'm hoping that it won't affect the plant adversely.

After that, I planted hot pepper seeds. For some reason, perhaps bad lighting, the peppers that I planted several weeks ago were not sprouting. So I threw them away and planted two Biker Billys, two Jalapeno Ms, three Anaheims, and three Poblano Rancheros. If they don't grow then either I'll have to buy new seeds (I used last year's seeds) or we'll have to buy plants at the nursery. I haven't had any problem growing them the last two years so I think that the lighting situation wasn't optimal. I replaced one of the grow lights on the top shelf and need to buy a new bulb so that I can replace the other one.

No comments:

Post a Comment