Thursday, March 26, 2009

Yesterday, it rained but today is sunny. Both days have been in the high 50s. I read a tongue-in-cheek article yesterday in the Detroit Free Press about optimism/pessimism. One of the things that the author said was that optimistic gardeners begin cleaning out their beds as soon as the winter weather started to clear. I had to laugh. I'm sure many experienced Michigan gardeners would say that that type of person is not optimistic but clueless. The weather in March and April can change drastically overnight. I remember a sudden snow storm at the beginning of May (a few years ago) that left a significant amount of snow. A few days later it got warm and all of that snow was gone!

I was going through my seed packets this morning looking for tomatoes when I happened on the envelope that contained the pansy seeds that I planted in February. I had thought that I had bought Antique Shades but it turns out that I was wrong. They are actually Rococco pansies. Both have flowers that are similar--ruffled petals and soft colors. There were two comments about them on Dave's Garden Plantfiles. One of them said that they are lovely with a sweet scent and the other said that they are hardy as well as being free flowering. I also found out that the Rococco plants are more cold tolerant than Antique Shades. I was very happy about this fact because I am ready to bring them home and harden them off before I plant them. I need the space under the grow lights for the tomatoes and hot peppers.

This morning, I planted four peat pots each of four different varieties: Celebrity Hybrid (Lake Valley Seed), Lemon Boy (Lake Valley Seed), Sweet Tangerine Hybrid (Burpee) and Burpee's Jubilee (Burpee's Heirlooms). These seeds were left over from last year's packets. I had great results with all four of these tomatoes last year. Even though I planted four of each type of plant, I will probably only transplant two of each in my garden and give away any extras. (I will also be planting 4th of July and Sungold.) Twelve tomato plants should produce more than plenty for our needs.

Each of the tomatoes is described as:
  • Celebrity Hybrid: This 1984 All-America Selections Award Winner remains one of the best all-purpose varieties available. It dependably produces high yields of flavorful, medium-sized, round, red fruit with exceptional disease resistance (VFFNTA). Determinate. Matures in 70 days.
  • Lemon Boy: Finally, a bright yellow fruit with full tomato flavor! Medium sized fruits make an eye-catching display when sliced with bright red tomatoes. Multiple disease resistance. Matures in 72 days.
  • Sweet Tangerine Hybrid: Bright orange, extremely sweet 6 oz fruits are produced in abundance on determinate vines. Lower acid flavor than red tomatoes. Matures in 68 days.
  • Burpee's Jubilee: Bright golden orange, deep globular, mild flavored fruits up to 3" across. High-yielding, indeterminate plants Ready to pick in about 72 days after plants are set out.

I also received Organic Gardening's 300 Super Tomato Tips today in the mail. I look forward to reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment