Monday, March 9, 2009

This weekend was very cold, gray and rainy but today is sunny. I know that it is still early in the season but I'm looking forward to seeing my bulbs pop up. Last fall, I planted two new varieties of tulips in the front brick bed that Ken built several years ago.


One of the varieties is called Oxford. It is described as having a flame red body with a yellow base. The other variety is called Golden Parade. This tulip is a lemony yellow color. Both of them are are 24 inches tall and bloom in April/May. After I planted them, I had Ken put a layer of leaves on the bed and then add a layer of compost.


I didn't get to English Gardens last autumn until later in the season but both of these were on sale. They came in packages of 32 bulbs. They were originally $16.99 each but I bought them for $12.99. I hope that they bloom at the same time because the yellow & red coloration in the Oxford should complement the Golden Parade.





I had a pleasant suprise today. All four of the 4th of July tomatoes have sprouted but one of the plants has really taken off. It now has a set of real leaves and is developing a second set. Once they develop a good root system, I will plant them into larger cell packs.


No comments:

Post a Comment