Thursday, March 19, 2009

The last two days have been partly cloudy with highs in the 45 to 55 degree range. Not as warm as the last several days, but very nice. It was supposed to rain but has not done so yet.

Yesterday, I planted 28 of the pansies in large four cell packs. I still have to plant another seven of them but have not had the time. I had to throw three of the pansies away because as I was unwrapping the protective covering from the peat pellet, the dirt fell away leaving me with naked roots. I've learned to be more careful.

Bulbs and other early season plants are starting to sprout outside. When I was taking my walk yesterday, I saw that the crocuses (purple and yellow varieties) were blooming in the front garden of a neighbor's house. Every year, these crocuses bloom before any others in the area. She has a lovely front yard garden that contains a mixture of bulbs, perennials, annuals and shrubs. Another neighbor has purple pansies blooming around the mailbox. They survived the cold, snowy winter and look very hardy. The people who live next to me have a forsythia next to their house and it is starting to bud.

Yesterday, Ken and I took a walk around the yard. He wants to dig up a spirea bush that is next to the fence in the back yard. It doesn't get enough sunlight in its current spot and so it is not very attractive. I'm looking for some possible alternatives for this spot. He also wants to plant two more Gold Coast junipers next to the one that he transplanted in this area last spring. Its time to make a list of what needs to be done!



Gold Coast Improved Juniper

No comments:

Post a Comment