Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's March!

Yesterday's weather was beautiful--sunny and warm. However, today is cold and dreary. But the snow is melted and there is not ice!

I have already started to grow some of my seeds under lights. I have over 30 pansy plants Antique Shades) that I planted in the middle of February. If the weather is warm in April, I will bring them home and keep them in the sunroom until I can plant them. I'm planning on putting them in pots for a spring display. Once the weather gets warm, I'll take them out and replace them with summer flowers.





I have also started four 4th of July tomatoes. I had great results with them last year. I read in Horticulture magazine that I should start them early and that I should keep transplanting them in to larger pots to encourage root growth. In May I will dig a deep hole, put some of the worm compost in it, and plant the tomatoes. Then I will surround each plant with a Wall o' Water until the weather gets warm enough to support their growth. I have also started four Sungold tomato plants and plan to use the same process with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment