Thursday, July 9, 2009




The weather has still been mild this week. However, I wish that it would rain. I have used up all of the water in the rain barrel and the flower beds are dry. The daylillies seem to like the weather. The Stella d'Oros and Happy Returns are still in bloom. Several other later types are just beginning to flower.

I thought that I would have all of the major gardening chores done by now (except for the weeding) but I still have some things to do. On Tuesday, Ken and I did some work in the front yard. He weeded under the cherry tree and then layed down landscape fabric with cocoa mulch over it. I did some pruning on the bushes but I still need to go back and cut back a few more branches. Also, I dug up the rest of the purple Wave petunias that had self-sowed in the front bed, separated them and replanted them in the same bed. Even though they did not have much of a root system, I think that they are going to survive. I have been watering them twice a day and I noticed this morning that they are not as wilted as they were after I transplanted them.


The purple Wave petunias that I dug from this are and transplanted to pots are now growing and flowering. I was surprised at how they were to make the transition. I'm developing a great respect for the hardiness of Wave petunias. I decide that next spring I will not be so hesitant to plant them after the danger of frost has passed.


I weeded and finished mulching the bed that stretches the length of the south side of the house. The peppers are really starting to look great. The four zuchinnis that I planted are getting their second set of true leaves. Tuesday evening, I pulled a half dozen of the onions and Ken used them in a breakfast potato dish the next morning. They are sweeter than I thought they would be. I still have a few more sets that I want to plant today in the tomato garden.


Ancho Pepper (July 8, 2009)


Anaheim Pepper (July 8, 2009)


Cherry Bomb Pepper (July 8, 2009)

Serrano Pepper (July 8, 2009)
Tuesday, I finally got around to mulching the pink begonias that surround the mail box. Today, I weeded and mulched the pink begonia bed that is on the north side of the house. The begonias in all of the beds are doing great this year. They are bushy and full of flowers.


This pot is by the front door. Even though the purple Wave petunia is doing well, the pink begonias are starting to take ove the pot. And this is a very big pot!





No comments:

Post a Comment