Saturday, July 18, 2009


It finally rained Wednesday (twice!) but both of the showers only lasted a few minutes so the rain barrel did not accumulate any rain. However, late Thursday night there was a heavy rain that soaked the ground and filled the rain barrel. It still has been cool though. In fact, the weather forecast says that today's low temperature may break records. I feel ambivalent about the chilly weather. On one hand, the low humidity and temperatures make working out in the garden more pleasant but the night-time lows are counterproductive for the tomatoes. Even thought my plants are loaded with green tomatoes, they will not ripen until the night-time temperatures are much warmer.







Transplanted Self-Sown Wave Petunia

The Wave petunias are doing great. One of purple Wave petunias has grown about a foot in less than a week. The self-sown ones that I transplanted from the front bed to pots must have developed a good set of roots because they are rapidly adding leaves and are blooming. The self-sown purple Wave petunias that I lifted from the front bed and then replanted in the same bed are also doing well. A few of them are flowering. I am impressed with the resiliency of these plants. However, I did purchase six more plants to add to the brick bed that is in the front yard.


Only one Wave petunia in this large pot! (See Wednesday, July 1 for previous photo.)

The Stella d'Oro daylilies have finished blooming and the Happy Returns daylilies are almost finished. Some years I get repeat blooms and some years I don't. I dug up and discarded some of the Stella d'Oros that were in the large bed in the back yard and plan on digging up the remaining ones today. I have so many of them in the different flower beds and they were overwhelming. Also, I'm not so fond of the leaves once the plant is done blooming. They become brown and look unappealing.


Burnt-Orange Daylily

Many of the other daylilies have begun to bloom. Some of them I got from my mother so I don't know their names. Others were purchased years ago and the tags are lost.


Deep Red Daylily


Peach Daylily


Pink and Yellow Daylily

Ken has been pulling the green onions to use in his cooking. I should be able to pull some carrots in the next few days. The basil and parsley plants are doing well. The potato leaves are beginning to turn brown which is a sign that they are almost ready to harvest. Yukon Golds take about 90 to 100 days and it has been over 80 days since the tubers were planted.



Greek Spicy Globe Basil


Genovese Basil

No comments:

Post a Comment