Monday, June 22, 2009

It's Summer!

Summer is finally here and the weather is reflecting the change. The last few days have been in the 80s and humid. However, there also has been a nice breeze to counteract the heat.


I have been busy during the last two weeks so yesterday was the first time in quite a while that I have had an opportunity to work in the garden. I planted Italian Flat Leaf parsley/Lake Valley and three different types of basil (including Greek Spicy Globe/Botanical Interests, Genovese/Lake Valley, and Fina Verde/Lake Valley) in individual pots. I also put down newspaper and cedar mulch at the back of the tomato bed. Ken transferred the shephard's hook from the front yard to the middle of this area and I purchased a potted flower from Westborn Market to hang on it. I also put four pots of flowers around the hook.

The Stella d'Oro daylillies are starting to bloom. Last week I purchased three garden ornaments at a wonderful garden center in Sutton's Bay. I placed them in the daylily patch to give height and additional color to this area.



The small (right-side) backyard bed is in full bloom. I had to cut back the irises on Friday but the delphiniums, daylillies, coreopsis, salvias and pinks are flowering.


The Salmon Velvet petunias and the Salmon Flambe petunias are both starting to really take off. Each day they seem to have grown several inches. I love the color of both of these flowers and the habits are outstanding. Both are compact and very full.

No comments:

Post a Comment