Saturday, August 15, 2009


Yesterday and today have been in the 80s and sunny with a cooling breeze.


Ken is pulling out the weeds in the berm by the street. He has been so frustrated with this area. The grass on one side of the tree looks fine but weeds have invaded the other side. He just finished pulling out the small weeds by hand and digging out the larger ones with a shovel. He is patching these areas with compost and seed.






He will be emptying the second container of potatoes this afternoon. I'm excited to see how many we get from this barrel. We are going to use a few of them to make french fries to go with the hamburgers (with tomatoes and onions from the garden) that we're having for dinner. Tomorrow, I'll pick the first green beans and steam them to go with the grilled vegetable sandwiches that we'll have for dinner. YUM!

The zucchini plants are really beginning to produce. If it's not too hot in the house this evening, I will bake two loaves of zucchini bread. I bought some dried cherries when we were in Traverse City in June to use in the bread instead of raisins. I have several new recipes but I haven't decided which one I'll try first.



The Pinks are still blooming. I've never had this happen before. Also, the coreopsis is putting out new flowers. I think that the mild weather that we are experiencing is definitely having an effect on the perennials. I even saw a flower on the bleeding heart a few days ago. Even though the storm that we had last Sunday broke off several of its branches, it has not died back yet.


Close up of a Pink flower

We've seen the hummingbird feeding at the Million Bells and Blue Victoria salvias the last several days. Also, the butterfly bush has been attracting bees and butterflies including monarchs and swallowtails.

No comments:

Post a Comment